ensure for protein?

Rachel DiLo
on 7/16/09 4:22 am
do you think ensure is ok to drink as a protein shake?its got 6g fat 31g carbs 19g sugar and 12g protein. think the fat/carb/sugar count is too high? should i switch back to the chalk like shakes that have less fat/carbs/sugar?? just wondering...
*~*RacheL*~*

"I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past."

Rhonda Burkhart
on 7/16/09 4:37 am
I was told no more than 10g of sugar per serving on anything that I eat or drink.  I really like the slim fast low-carb/high protein shakes they have 180 cal  1g sugar  20g proteins.  Also, this week I just bought the Atkins shakes because they were on sale and they are pretty good.  They have 150 cal  1g s  and 15g protein. 

Mary B.
on 7/16/09 5:04 am - Southern, MD
IMHO, I think it has too much sugar and not enough protein. I really like the Atkins shakes.

As a meal replacement (I'll have this monday night for dinner after my fill) I like to take a chocolate Atkins shake, 1/2 banana, 1tbsp Skippy Natural PB, and about 5 ice cubes. Mix in a blender. NUM-YUMMY!

Have you tried the Isopure? The one I had was like a fruit punch flavor. It was good...but only if you drank it fast. I tired sipping it alot after surgery and it left a film in my mouth, but drinking it faster is ok.

Do you have a Smoothie King near you? They make a great shake...46 grams of carbs and something like 4 grams of sugar. Its called the Gladiator. Thats pretty good!
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

daisy560
on 7/16/09 12:48 pm - NE
I agree, my NUT said to stay away from Boost or Ensure, just too many carbs and not enough protein. 

Slimfast low carb, the Atkins, and even the EAS low carb shakes are all good choices and readily available everywhere.  The GNC protein powder is good too. 
- Patti
True Change comes from within. 

rvbrat2
on 7/16/09 2:36 pm - Lake Elsinore, CA
The Carb & Sugar seem too high. I have been drinking the following & they taste just fine:

Boost Glucose Control (Chocolate). They sell this at CVS or Walmart in different flavors. Here is the info from the label:
8 oz Serving
190 Calories
7g Fat
16g Carb
16g Protein

EAS Advantage (Chocolate). I get this at Walmart since the cost is only $4.96 for a 4/pk & they also have other flavors. This is the lowest I have found. Here's the info:

11 oz Serving
110 Calories
3 g Fat
6 g Carb
11 g Protein

Hope this suggestion helps!

MaMa_M
on 7/16/09 9:25 pm - MI
Ensure is made to help gain weight...that is not your goal. Slim Fast Low Carb and Atkins are both good choices. GNC will let you return protein drink mix even if you have opened it if you keep your receipt. Give them a try, they have lots of choices.
MaMa M

Most Active